Monday, June 05, 2006

Porch Dreams

Lethargy of humid days
makes lazy men like me
sit on porches aged by time
and dream of ships at sea.

Southern breezes cannot cool
the heat built in my soul
that scorches sails in my mind
on distant beaches shoal.

Ocean currents wander on
to places I’ve not seen
but from my porch I can go
with sails on painted beams.

And if by chance, hap to meet
pirate danger ‘proching
I’d load a cannon for the fight,
a sword or gaff for jousting.

With the battle over then
I’d sail to oceans end,
with the colors of my ship
blowing in the wind.

And should I wake from my dream
I think that I just may,
travel to a harbor near
and watch the ships at bay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Writing For Christ
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next